Given the pressures of juggling multiple heavy responsibilities, it is more critical than ever that we learn to naturally control stress and anxiety. Our bodies are constantly under environmental stresses. But psychological stress significantly adds to these stresses and can ravage our bodies over time by negatively impacting our Endocannabinoid System (ECS). Negative impact on the ECS can limit our immune systems which obviously can result in our bodies being more susceptible to a variety of illnesses and issues.
The best thing we can do to take control of managing these stresses is to focus on our health and wellness, most importantly what we are putting into our bodies in terms of supplements and our diet.
Stress Effects on the Brain
Stress can make people irritable, sleepless and sad. I can also lead to migraines, colds, flu and irritable bowl syndrome and, even, hair loss. What do all of these issues have in common? They all start in your brain.
When we are stressed, our bodies release the hormone cortisol which can damage the hippocampus, neurons and other areas of the brain. Fortunately, the US Department of Health has patented “cannabinoids as antioxidants and neuroprotectants” indicating the strong potential for whole-plant hemp CBD products to to help people better manage stress and anxiety without getting high.
There is no magic bullet to managing stress. You will need to do more than just add hemp CBD to your diet – but you can do it!
5 Healthy Hacks for Combat Stress
If you’re feeling overwhelmed, then try incorporating one or more of the following steps to your daily routine. Don’t try to change your life in one fell swoop, rather start small and try out some of these ideas one at a time in order to develop healthy habits and routines.
- Eat Right.
Hippocrates famously wrote: “Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food.” So, stop with the fast food now. You can do it! Also, add more fruits, vegetables, and healthy fats to your diet. Your gut has a major influence on your body’s stress response and overall health and wellness.
- Reduce your intake of processed, refined ingredients like sugar, gluten and bleached grains. Hint: If it’s white, limit your consumption unless it’s milk, cheese, or eggs.
- Eat more good fats, like grass-fed beef, seeds & nuts, avocados, wild-caught salmon, and organic peanut butter (without sugar added). Hint: keep a bag of organic mixed nuts at hand for snacking.
- Eat more probiotic foods. Probiotics include things like kombucha, kefir, kimchi, pickles and sauerkraut among others. They work to enhance our gut and digestive systems which serve as major influencers on our ability to deal with stress. Hint: for greater probiotic impact substitute non-sweetened kefir for yogurt in a fruit smoothie.
- Eat more antioxidants to eliminate free radicals from our bodies which cause oxidation of cells. In addition to the antioxidants contained in Honest Hemp CBD, you can get rich antioxidants into your system by eating foods such as dark chocolate, garlic, blueberries, blackberries, raspberries, pecans, etc. and by drinking green tea. Hint: mix these berries into the probiotic smoothie every morning (and buy frozen berries to save money).
- Start Taking a High-Quality, Whole-Plant Hemp CBD Supplement
The US Department of Health patented “cannabinoids as antioxidants and neuroprotectants” (US Patent 6630507). Given this, introducing the most super of superfoods, hemp CBD, into your diet is a smart thing to consider if you’re looking to protect or boost your neurons. But make sure the hemp CBD oil you purchase can pass the following tests for safety and effectiveness:
- Premium whole-plant hemp genetics
- Grown according to organic practices without pesticides
- Grown on US farms, not imported from Europe or China
- Scientifically tested for safety and quality
All Honest Hemp CBD products adhere to these high standards.
- Attack the Stress Hormone Cortisol with Supplements
The fight or flight response is hard-wired in our DNA as a survival mechanism to help get us out of stressful situations. Today’s everyday stress is very different from that of years past, but no less significant. When our bodies experience stress, we release cortisol via our adrenal glands. If stress is continuous, then these glands get fatigued and our cortisol gets out of balance. Some great supplements to consider adding which will help balance cortisol levels and fight stress:
- Asian / Panax Ginseng
- Aloe Vera Juice
- Focus on Breathing and Heartrate
Meditation comes off a little “new age-y” and isn’t for everyone. So, do this instead: Sit comfortably or lie down and just start focusing on your breathing. Begin to feel your heart beating as you slowly inhale and exhale. Let your mind race and don’t get angry with yourself as your mind wanders, rather just gently bring your thoughts back and focus on each breath and heartbeat.
This practice will literally help your neurons calm down and likely lead to better sleep, energy and mental clarity. Target 5 minutes a day to get started and increase it as you begin to witness the amazing benefits for yourself. If you’re into apps and want to give that a try, then search the app store for “meditation” apps and you will find a few to help.
They say “laughter is the best medicine” for a reason. Smiling and laughing allow our brains to forget about the stresses of daily life, if only for a few moments. As simple as it sounds, this critical component of a healthy lifestyle. Smiling helps us and makes others feel good. So, next time you are in a crowded place, look up from your phone and make it a point to smile at someone.